Saturday, January 3, 2009

Going to Guatemala!

Dear Friends and Family,


Please take a short multiple-choice quiz to learn what is happening with me (Daniel) next month.


1. On February 14th, I will be...


a. celebrating Valentine's Day with my lovely bride at the fanciest place in town.


b. boycotting Valentine's Day by not patronizing any establishments.


c. flying to Guatemala for a short-term mission trip.


d. doing nothing.


Answer: c


2. While in Guatemala, I will...


a. drink as much Guatemalan coffee as I can possible handle.


b. join a band of indigenous goat herders as part of an anthropological study.


c. do some street outreach to children, work in a malnutrition center, and (hopefully) build a prefab house for a family.


d. use my Spanish-speaking ability to translate while down there.


Answer: c & d (Though I won't rule out 'a'.)


3. The cost of my trip is...


a. nothing. I was on Deal or No Deal where I crazily shouted "No deal!" against all statistical odds, improbably won, and am now independently wealthy.


b. $12,000. A weak dollar combined with an inexplicably strong quetzal (Guatemalan currency) makes this trip quite costly.


c. $1,200, possibly $1,500 so we can build the prefab house.


d. $50.


Answer: c (Are you seeing a trend with the answers yet? Yeah, I'm predictable like that.)


4. Would you consider...


a. helping me pack so my bag makes the weight limit?  The airlines take your firstborn if you exceed the limit.


b. supporting me prayerfully?


c. supporting me financially?


d. b & c


Answer: d (I would really appreciate prayer partners in this ministry.  Please consider if God would you have you be a part.  Thanks!)


5. To make a financial contribution, please...


a. make a check payable to Northside Baptist Church.


b. designate Daniel Briggs in the memo section.


c. mail to 7965 Oswego Road, Liverpool, NY 13090.


d. do all of the above (Deadline is 31 January, 2009).


Multiple-choice questions and my lame attempts at humor aside, I am really, truly excited about this opportunity.  As some of you know, I have been to Guatemala before on mission trips -- to a different part of the country -- and I have a special place in my heart for the people there.  Also, God seems to have opened up this opportunity at a perfect time.  I was supposed to start with the Air Force in January but for reasons beyond my control I'm not starting until March.  I can't wait to see what God has in store!  Take care and God bless.


-Daniel






No comments:

Post a Comment